Recently we have had a ton of inquiries about community gardening.
- How to do it?
- Why to do it?
- Where it’s being done?
- Ways to get involved?
I’m talking hundreds of people. Maybe you are one of the inquirers. If so, here’s your chance to engage.
Whether you want to put a tick next to the name of one more of San Antonio’s unique community gardens, wish to pick up some free gardening tips, or seek new ways to volunteer, we are lining up some great opportunities for you.
Our first MINI-TOUR and orientation to community gardening in San Antonio is scheduled:
Reconciliation Oaks Community Garden
Address: 8900 Starcrest
Host: Steven Behr, Garden Steward
Date: Saturday, March 9, 2013:
The MINI-TOUR will happen during a regular garden workday for the folks at Reconciliation Oaks. Steven will step aside from his labors at 10 am to show off several components of the garden during this one-hour tour with a question and answer period. Garden features include:
- Extensive water collection and distribution system (The tanks are full!)
- Spring planting progress
- New benches with gardener-made mosaics (Artistry in the hands of gardeners!)
- New canvas mural
- Gardeners at work and unifying a neighborhood (Taking down a fence built community!)
Steven says, “there is a lot to see,” of his garden that just started in August 2012.
- So, plan to come out for the MINI-TOUR.
- Get a little dirty, maybe.
- Gain a whole lot of information from active community gardeners.
- And see another little corner of San Antonio that is home to one of Green Spaces newest community gardens!
PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED!! Please do not come without registering because SPACE IS LIMITED!!
Keep your eyes and ears open for more MINI-TOURS of area community gardens. These are open to anyone from the average Joe to politicians and potential funders.
Our community gardeners and stewards know the process best and inquirers will love to see and hear about their efforts!!
Come. Learn. See. Do. You can be our VOICE in the community too!!