The Picture Your World Youth Photo Contest promotes awareness of the need for preservation of our natural environment through images that reveal the interconnectedness of earth, water, sky, and the creatures – including man –who live in the environment.
Contest Entry Rules
1. Entries must be received by 5:00pm, April 12th, 2013 and must be submitted as jpegs or tiffs. Submissions must be from digital cameras with a minimum of 5 megapixels and must be set at the cameras highest resolution. No digitally enhanced images will be accepted. However, images may be slightly cropped with minor adjustments made to color, contrast, and brightness. Dates on photos may also be removed with cloning tools.
2. Contestants may submit a CD with three original images or e-mail the images as described below. Pictures may be of any aspect of nature in Bexar, Kendall, Comal, Guadalupe, Wilson, Atascosa, Medina, and Bandera counties. A picture of the entrant must be included with the submission.
3. There is a $20. entry fee for non-Green Spaces Alliance member participants and $10. for member participants. Scholarships are available to cover the entry fee for students who demonstrate financial need. To request a fee waiver, send a letter from a teacher, youth leader, or other authority who can attest to the student’s financial status to Green Spaces Alliance, P.O. Box 6250, San Antonio, TX 78209.
4. Respect for animal habitat must be observed. No photos of domestic, restrained, or caged animals – including zoo animals – will be accepted. All images must come from the natural environments of Bexar or its immediately surrounding counties.
5. Images will be judged on originality of subject matter, use of light, exposure, framing, and composition, and must follow the format in #1.
$1,200 in cash prizes will be awarded!
Professional photographers/artists will judge the entries in two groups: students 8-12, and students 13-18.
Examples of subjects are wildlife (birds, mammals, insects, spiders, reptiles, and amphibians), landscapes (rock formations, plant life, and backyard habitat), people enjoying nature, environmental hotspots, art in nature (patterns, textures and close-ups), and diversity in nature. Photos must come from Bexar and its immediately surrounding counties.
Images will remain the property of the photographer, but submission to the contest grants Green Spaces Alliance permission to use all contest entries as it sees fit. Entries will not be returned.
Prizes and cash awards will be presented in May. All contestants will be invited to a reception where 30 winners will be announced. These thirty photos will be printed, matted,
and framed. They will hang in an exhibit throughout the summer.
A workshop for proper submission will be held at the SWSA on April 14th. Those attending may submit their entries at the close of the workshop on that day.