2015 Dates Coming Soon!
FOOD LESS TRAVELED:
Good for You & Good for the Environment
In 2014, our educational series is focused on food less traveled and the benefits of growing, eating, and living locally. You can join in as a host, a presenter, a participant, or a volunteer for any of these events.
Learn with us
Green Spaces hosts multiple community gardening workshops each year that provide gardeners with regionally-appropriate gardening techniques as they get hands-on training from local experts.
Pollinator Series – Suggest a date. Offer a location.
- GSA offers one-hour presentations on the following topics for $60 per presentation:
- Spring Vegetable Gardening
- Organic Gardening
- Fall Vegetable Gardening
- Community Organizing
- Water Conservation
- Gardening with Kids
- Learn more and/or request a presentation
Movies - These events are free to the public and suitable for the whole family.
Come an hour early for a potluck and a little garden work. Each movie shares details about the various links in our food supply system, ways to get outdoors and active, or examples of community coming together for greater good. When possible
- March 22, 2014: Movie in the Garden
- July 1, 2014: Movie in the Garden/Seed Swap
- October 24, 2014: Movie in the Garden/National Food Day Celebration
Work(ing)shops/Special Educational Events - These are fee events but open to the public. Follow the link for registration.
- February 15, 2014: Community Gardens as Local Food Sources
- June 28, 2014: Fallowing the Garden
- Animal Husbandry: CANCELLED
- September 20, 2014: From Garden to Pantry to Lunchbox
- Garden Economics: CANCELLED
- September 28, 2014: Seed Starting at Siclovia’s Reclovia Station
- Water for Food: CANCELLED
Seed Swaps – Held at least twice a year (before spring and fall planting).
Bring your seeds and share your recipes. Each Seed Swap also offers mini demonstrations.
New Garden Startup Orientation – These are free events open to anyone interested in starting a new garden project in the San Antonio area.
Funding for gardens is available as described on the Resources for Gardeners page. Orientation sessions are open to everyone who wants to learn more about starting a garden regardless of funding source.
- February 25, 2014
- June 25, 2014
- July 25, 2014
- October 28, 2014
- November 18, 2014
Become a Pollinator
- Mentor Orientation- please contact Michelle if you’re interested
- Volunteer Training – Volunteers are always welcome. Contact Tia to learn more, or check out our volunteer page and start getting your hands dirty.
- Speaker’s Bureau – get trained up for GSA and be our voice to the community.
Join the Garden Forum
Become a member of Green Spaces and gain a year’s access to the garden forum- a resource full of inspiration and ideas – from regionally-appropriate techniques and specifications for tried-and-true structures to offered garden supplies and stories about the boy who learned to love spinach.