For inquiries contact Angela Hartsell, Community Gardens Program Manager
or Michelle Gorham, Assistant Program Manager
The Current Network
Green Spaces has awarded funding to over 30 community gardens, with interest continuing to grow. Groups of enthusiastic neighbors form core groups to design, build, and maintain all the community gardens in San Antonio. Garden groups join our network to reap the benefits of Green Spaces’ services and exchange information, ideas, and resources between gardens.
The Growing Network
New and pre-existing community gardens may join the network to reap all of the benefits for $100/year (if a garden is funded through GSA and participates fully, the first 5 years of these fees are waived)
- Utilizing the services of Green Spaces Alliance and other organizations.
- Attending or hosting free and low cost informative workshops that will extend their knowledge base.
- Recruiting new members, strengthening their ability to maintain and sustain a healthy community garden.
- Passing along excess materials and loaning equipment and/or serving as a mentor to brand new garden groups.
- Spreading the word about how community gardens benefit the community and the environment by making presentations, tabling at community events and/or offering garden tours.
Members of network gardens receive:
- Hands-on guidance from start-up through locally-appropriate maintenance.
- Invitations to on-line forums containing gardening techniques, offers of material resources, and connections to other gardeners.
- Referrals to/from volunteers and groups interested in helping gardens grow.
- Information about funding opportunities.
- Access to a huge library of regionally-appropriate garden how-to’s.
- And discounts when attending our educational programs.